Come to my play!

Manhattan Repertory Theatre Presents:

King of the Mountain

Written by Tom Decker
Directed by Mary Geerlof
Performed by Ryan Murray

April 29, 30, and May 1 @ 7pm

Tickets: $20
Reservations: (646) 329-6588

Manhattan Repertory Theatre
303 W. 42nd St. @ 8th Ave. - 3rd Floor - NYC

April 2, 2009

Soaring into the Mountains: The First Rehearsal

Well, let me be succinct. To do so, allow me to quote one of the most verbose people I know: “He was the third-happiest I’ve ever seen him.” The first- and second-happiest times remain a mystery.

Basically, I enjoyed our first rehearsal with the bike much more than I expected. As we neared the end of the session, and my role as the voiceover actor finished, I could only marvel at the fact that Mary, Ryan, and I were actually doing this, that what I had envisioned back in August was actually on its way to becoming reality. What a moment, a lot of work ahead, but a good feeling.

We worked on the first few pages of the script, a crucial section not only because it’s rife with voiceovers, but since it is the introduction of the concept and character to the audience. Yes, the audience—a new factor of the production, and Mary keenly takes it into consideration. How will this read? How do we convey this? What is the driving focus of this moment? What does the audience need to know? And thankfully, Ryan has these pages memorized, so they can really begin to work out some answers.

Oh, and the bike, always the bike. Ryan for the first time worked with the key prop, and in a sense, the only other actor on stage. It’s not exactly perfect, but I have a better idea of how to get it show-ready. And speaking of which, courtesy of Pete and his cycling club, a new matching cycling kit is on its way. Needless to say, I’m excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment